This Hour: Latest Minnesota news, sports, business and entertainment - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

This Hour: Latest Minnesota news, sports, business and entertainment

Posted: Updated:

GENERAL MILLS-CLIMATE ACTION

General Mills joins climate action coalition

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Food maker General Mills has joined a coalition to advocate for climate and clean energy policies.

BICEP, or Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy, said Monday that the Minneapolis-based maker of Cheerios, Yoplait and other packaged foods has joined the coalition.

General Mills chairman and CEO Ken Powell says the company has long recognized the need to mitigate the risks that climate change presents. Powell says BICEP will be a key partner as General Mills advocates for "large-scale progress on this issue."

General Mills has committed to sustainably source its 10 priority ingredients by 2020. Those ingredients represent 50 percent of the company's total raw material purchases.

Oxfam welcomed General Mills' commitments. The international aid group has been campaigning for food and beverage companies to help stop climate change.

FOILED SCHOOL ATTACK

Judge tosses most serious charges in foiled plot

WASECA, Minn. (AP) - A judge has dismissed the most serious charges against a 17-year-old boy accused of plotting to kill his family and attack his southern Minnesota school.

KEYC-TV (http://bit.ly/WKx4z1) reports Waseca (wah-SEE'-kuh) County Judge Gerald Wolf on Monday dismissed four counts of attempted murder and two counts of attempted damage to property.

Wolf said prosecutors didn't show sufficient evidence that the boy made "a substantial step, beyond mere preparation," to commit murder or property damage.

The judge allowed six counts of possession of explosives to stand.

The teen was arrested in April after authorities said they found him in a storage locker with bomb-making materials. Court documents say they also found guns, explosives and a journal outlining a plan.

Prosecutors want to certify the teen to stand trial as an adult.

HEALTH CANCELLATIONS

8,000 get false notice of health care cancellation

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - More than 8,000 low-income Minnesotans have received erroneous notices that their health coverage would be temporarily canceled if they don't pay up.

A July 17 notice warned MinnesotaCare subscribers that they faced a four-month coverage lockout if they failed to renew their policy through the state's new health insurance exchange by month's end. The Department of Human Services says their automated reminders drew on part of an old law that locked out subscribers whose coverage lapsed.

That penalty no longer exists, and the department announced the error on Monday.

MinnesotaCare is a state-subsidized health care plan for adults who make too much to enroll in Medicaid but can't afford insurance on their own.

The department says it is sending revised notices to the 8,765 affected subscribers.

SNIPER AUTHOR-VENTURA

Jury in Ventura case to return Tuesday

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Jurors in former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura's defamation lawsuit against "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle have gone home for the night but will return Tuesday.

Jurors sent U.S. District Judge Richard Kyle a note midday Monday, saying they had not been able to reach a unanimous decision and did not think they could.

The judge told them to keep trying.

Late in the afternoon, attorneys for both sides conferred with the judge. They would not say what they discussed but said the jury would be back Tuesday.

Ventura says Chris Kyle defamed him by fabricating a story in his best-selling memoir. Kyle, who died in Texas last year, wrote he decked Ventura in a California bar in 2006 after Ventura allegedly said Navy SEALs "deserve to lose a few."

MINNESOTA HOUSE-RESIDENCY DISPUTE

APNewsBreak: Residency case targets GOP legislator

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - A residency dispute involving a Minnesota legislator has landed in court and could put a Republican-held seat in contention.

A voter in Rep. Bob Barrett's district wants the Minnesota Supreme Court to remove the two-term incumbent from November's ballot amid doubts about whether he lives in the district. Barrett told The Associated Press on Monday that he moved into a Lindstrom home in 2012 and has been trying to sell a property outside the district that he has homesteaded for tax purposes.

If Barrett is struck from the ballot, it would give Democrats a strong chance of a pickup in Republican territory. The GOP needs to gain seven or more seats this November to reclaim House control. Having to fight to retain a safe seat would complicate that effort.

NEWBORN DEATH

Sheriff: 14-year-old was mother of dead newborn

BUTTERFIELD, Minn. (AP) - Watonwan County authorities have confirmed that a 14-year-old girl was the mother of a newborn found dead at a home in Butterfield.

The sheriff's office says the teenager had delivered the baby at the home in southern Minnesota within a few hours of calling 911.

Authorities were called at 5:45 p.m. Friday about an unresponsive newborn in Butterfield. The Watonwan County medical examiner pronounced the baby girl dead at the scene.

The 14-year-old girl was taken from the same lower-level duplex apartment to a hospital in St. James, then transferred to a hospital in Mankato. Chief Deputy Jeremy Nachreiner has said her condition was not life-threatening.

The cause of death of the newborn is still unknown. No arrests have been made.

Butterfield is about 45 miles southwest of Mankato.

FATAL HOME INVASION

Home invasion ends in fatal shooting

RAY, Minn. (AP) - A sheriff in northern Minnesota says a son who shot and killed an intruder was defending himself and his 72-year-old mother, who had been attacked by the man.

Koochiching County Sheriff Brian Jespersen says 34-year-old Benjamin Beaudoin of Mendota Heights came to the door of a home in Ray early Saturday asking for help. The sheriff says Beaudoin had been in an altercation at another house about a mile away and was bleeding.

Jespersen says when he entered the second house, Beaudoin grabbed the woman, threw her to the floor and started choking her. The woman's 48-year-old son went to get his gun in a bedroom where Beaudoin lunged at him and was shot.

Beaudoin was rushed to Rainy Lake Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

TRANSMISSION LINE ACCIDENT

1 killed, 1 injured in Minnesota line accident

FAIRFAX, Minn. (AP) - Authorities say one worker has died and another has been injured in a transmission line construction accident in south-central Minnesota.

The Renville County sheriff's office says the two were reported shocked Monday along the CapX2020 power line construction site near Fairfax. KTOE-AM reports the two were flown to trauma centers in the Twin Cities, where one victim died and the other victim's condition is unknown.

CapX2020 project spokeswoman Lori Buffington says the two worked for Donovan Construction of Ham Lake. A Donovan Construction spokesman says the man who died is from the Twin Cities, and the injured man, from Osseo, Wisconsin, is being treated in the HCMC burn unit.

The 250-mile line will run from South Dakota to Hampton, Minnesota.

Minnesota OSHA and the Renville County sheriff's office are investigating.

WEST AFRICA-EBOLA-MINNESOTA-HEALTH

Minnesota Health officials address Ebola concerns

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Minnesota Department of Health is working with leaders in the local Liberian community to address concerns about an Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

Health officials are meeting with members of the West African community Monday.

The health department says it's providing resources and information to community members, and is working on creating materials for local West African media about Ebola and travel precautions.

The health department also says it's aware of the potential for Minnesotans to travel to and from West Africa. Since the outbreak began, officials have alerted Minnesota health care providers to be on the lookout for anyone with symptoms of the virus.

Travelers are considered to be at a low risk, but must practice careful hygiene and avoid contact with bodily fluids of sick people.

SYNTHETIC DRUGS-DEATHS

Minnesota man wanted in drug deaths arrested

MANKATO, Minn. (AP) - A 21-year-old Minnesota man who is charged with two drug-related deaths has been arrested in suburban Chicago.

The Mankato Free Press reports (http://bit.ly/1l7EX76 ) Tyler Caputo was arrested Monday morning at his grandmother's home in Harwood Heights, Illinois. Police issued a warrant for his arrest after his family reported he had left the state and he failed to appear in court Friday.

Caputo faces two third-degree murder charges in the deaths of 17-year-old Chloe Moses and 22-year-old Louis Folson. He is also charged with selling the dangerous synthetic drug 25C-NBOMe that killed the two Mankato residents.

His attorney Ryan Pacyga (pah-SEE'-gah) says he doesn't think the case rises to the level of murder.

An extradition hearing will be held in Illinois before Caputo returns to the custody of Blue Earth County deputies in Minnesota.

WEST AFRICA-EBOLA-MINNESOTA

Liberians in Minnesota worry about Ebola outbreak

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Members of Minnesota's sizeable Liberian community are worried about family members back home amid a recent Ebola outbreak that's killed hundreds. They're also raising funds to help stop the virus from spreading.

Zubah Kpanaku is board chairman for the Organization of Liberians in Minnesota. He says his wife is in Liberia. He says it's risky for her to be there and she may try to come home sooner than planned.

Others are cancelling or postponing travel. Sakui Malakpa is a professor at the University of Toledo. He said he planned to go to Liberia in August, but will likely postpone his trip.

Community members say they raised more than $700 over the weekend, and plan more drives to raise funds for masks and other supplies that could prevent Ebola's spread.

OFFICERS FIRED-MINNEAPOLIS

Panel upholds chief's firing of 2 Minneapolis cops

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Minneapolis Civil Service Commission has upheld the firing of two Minneapolis police officers for misconduct in Green Bay, Wisconsin, last year.

Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau (jeh-NAY' har-TOH') fired officers Brian Thole and Shawn Powell after the two scuffled with a group of black men and then allegedly used racial slurs while berating local police investigating the June 2013 incident.

The firings kicked off an automatic appeals process. Harteau says the commission upheld her decision last week.

The Star Tribune (http://strib.mn/UGuubu ) reports at least one of the officers also disparaged Harteau as a lesbian in the incident.

The off-duty officers were not charged with any crime, but the Green Bay department reported the incident to Minneapolis, prompting the internal affairs review.

Thole and Powell denied the allegations.

DEER HUNT-FERGUS FALLS

Fergus Falls will hold another city deer hunt

FERGUS FALLS, Minn. (AP) - Fergus Falls will have another city deer hunt this fall.

It's the third year for the bow hunt, which is meant to reduce traffic collisions with deer.

KBRF (http://bit.ly/1ffR6Es ) reports hunters are selected by a lottery, must pass a proficiency test and pay a $20 fee in addition to state license requirements.

Hunting is allowed on select city land. Applications are due by Aug. 15. The hunt coincides with the regular bow season, which runs Sept. 13 to Dec. 31.

SYNTHETIC DRUGS-MINNESOTA

Appeals could upholds head shop injunctions

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Court of Appeals has upheld the injunctions that shut down a Duluth head shop that openly sold synthetic drugs.

In an opinion Monday, a three-judge appeals panel said a lower court's permanent injunctions against the Last Place on Earth were justified.

The judges noted that a temporary restraining order that closed the store in July 2013 led to an "immediate and drastic decrease" in police calls, emergency room visits and other problems due to synthetic drugs.

The district court later issued permanent injunctions keeping the store closed.

The store's owner, James Carlson, was convicted last October on 51 felony counts stemming from his synthetic drug business. Carlson remains in jail, and authorities have seized his assets. His sentencing date has not been set.

Carlson plans to appeal.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.