Onalaska, Wisconsin (WXOW) - No injuries at a fire in Onalaska Thursday afternoon.
The fire department responded to a call of flames coming out of a window of a business on Abbey Road.
Most of the fire was contained as firefighters arrived. They believe the cause was careless disposal of a cigarette. Onalaska Fire Chief Don Dominick says this is the fourth fire this year caused by smoking materials believed to be extinguished. He says the primary lesson here is to keep those containers at least ten feet away from walls.
Fire Chief Dominick said, "There's damage to the siding of the home. The siding had to be removed as well as the interior portion of the wall. It was on an upper story, corner of the deck and the building and we had extension not only upwards but downwards into the lower level."
There is a burning ban in Onalaska. The chief issued that yesterday and says it will remain in place until conditions improve.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.