Smoke alarms save family in house fire - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

Smoke alarms save family in house fire


LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW) - UPDATE: Firefighters say smoke alarms helped a La Crosse family escape their house fire with only minor injures.

It happened before five Tuesday morning at a house on the corner of East Avenue and Bennett Streets.

Fire fighters say when they arrived the flames were coming out windows on two sides of the house.

The four family members inside the home made it out safely, thanks to smoke alarms.

Officials say two of three children inside were alerted to the fire by the detectors.

One of the kids was able to wake their mother and assist with escaping from the house.

Due to heavy smoke and heat, a 16-year old daughter was unable to make it down the stairs from the second story.

Officials say she managed to jump out of a second floor window.

La Crosse Fire Department Division Chief Craig Snyder said the cause of the fire was unattended cooking.

Someone in the house began cooking something and then fell asleep.

He said unattended cooking is the number one cause of house fires in the US.


LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW) - A house fire on La Crosse's south side sends two people to the hospital this morning.

The fire broke out around quarter to five Tuesday morning (10/02) on the corner of East Avenue and Bennett Street. Firefighters arrived on scene within minutes of the call. They received a report that possible victims could be inside.

Upon arrival, flames were blowing out windows on two sides of the house. However, all four occupants were evacuated safely.

According to Division Chief Craig Snyder says that smoke detectors awakened two of the children who helped the others get out of the home. One of the children had to escape through a second story window due to the heat and smoke from the fire according to Snyder.

The first floor sustained extensive damage. Firefighters stayed on scene, making sure the fire did not spread to the rest of the house.

"There's gotta be extensive damage in there to that first floor corner room," Mark Amann, Division Chief of the La Crosse Fire Department tells News 19. "I'm not even sure what was in that room yet. We're really early into this. We're just beginning our investigation. We're actually still into our salvage and overhaul and still checking for exhaustion," continues Amann.

More information on the cause of this fire is expected today (10/02).


Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at