Minnesota couple accused of starving adopted son - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

Minnesota couple accused of starving adopted son

By AMY FORLITI
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Authorities say a Minnesota couple starved their 8-year-old adopted son so severely his bones protruded and his brain atrophied.

A criminal complaint filed last week charges Mona Hauer and Russell Hauer of North Mankato with six felonies, including neglect and malicious punishment of a child.

The complaint says the boy weighed less than 35 pounds when he was taken to the hospital.

He allegedly was given a liquid-only diet, and an alarm was on his door so he wouldn't steal food. He told authorities he had taken rotting food from a compost site because he was hungry.

The adoptive mother told authorities they put the boy on a liquid diet because he threw up his food.

It's unclear if the Hauers have an attorney. Their home voicemail was full Monday.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.