Deadly Racine fire caused by a candle - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

Deadly Racine fire caused by a candle

RACINE (WKOW) -- The cause of a house fire in Racine that ultimately killed three children was the result of a candle in the bathroom.

Sergeant Martin Pavilonis, of the Racine Police Department, says the fire started in the first floor bathroom Thursday, November 8 around 12:45 a.m. Officers were on scene just two minutes after being dispatched and noticed heavy smoke pouring from the residence.

They were advised by a citizen that an adult man and four children were still inside the home.  Officers immediately forced the door open and began to call out. 

The man was transported to the emergency room, as well as the four children. Two of the children, 9-year-old Dayja Scott and 8-year-old  Dalija Scott died at the hospital. Two other children were then transported to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. On Friday, 7-year-old Michael Scott died from injuries sustained in the fire. Five-year-old Luther Patterson remains hospitalized.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at