BLACK RIVER FALLS, Wisconsin (WXOW) - Fire destroys a garage Friday morning near Black River Falls. Firefighters were able to save the home next to the building.
According to Chief Steve Schreiber, the garage was fully engulfed when crews arrived at W9108 Dennis Road in the Town of Manchester. While fighting the garage blaze, crews also worked to keep the fire from spreading to the home. Some of the home's siding was damaged.
A passing mailman spotted the fire and alerted the home's owners, Mark and Jennifer Hill.
According to Chief Schreiber, the apparent cause of the fire was unlit paper in a burn barrel that ignited from old ashes. The wind blew embers out of the barrel that caught leaves on fire that spread to the garage.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family because power was cut to the home from the fire.
No one was injured in the fire.
Black River Falls (Black River Falls Fire Department Press Release) - On November 23, 2012 @ 11:04AM the Black River Falls Fire Department (BRFFD) was paged for a structure (garage) fire at W9108 Dennis Road which is located in the Township of Manchester and County of Jackson.
Upon arrival the BRFFD found a 48' x 27' wood frame unattached garage fully involved in fire. A defensive attack was made on the fire to protect and save a 48' x 27' single family wood frame home close to the unattached garage.
The garage is a total loss and some of its contents that the owner was not able to get. The home did suffer some radiant heat damage to it siding.
The owners were home at the time and were made aware of the fire by the mail man on the daily mail route.
The cause appears to be burn barrel which on of the owners had placed some paper in about 1 to 1.5 hours earlier. The party did not ignite the paper but it is believed that the paper started on fire from ash in the barrel from rubbish burning earlier in the week. The strong winds blew embers out of the barrel which caught leaves on fire in a car port area of the structure which then spread to the structure itself.
The structure is insured but damage estimates are not known at this time.
American Red Cross was called to assist the family as the power had to cut by the power company which left no power in the single family home.
The owners and occupants of the property are Mark and Jennifer Hill. There were no reported injuries to any civilians or firefighters.
BRFFD was on scene for 1.5 hours. Mutual aid was requested from the Merrillan, Hixton and
Sparta Rural Fire Departments for water tenders and firefighters. WI DNR Fire Control was also contacted for fire investigation as a burn barrel was involved.
Black River Emergency Medical service was also on scene for medical standby.
Chief Steve Schreiber, Black River Falls Fire Department.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.