ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Minnesota's deer harvest declined in 2012 but officials say it was a safe season for people who took to the woods.
Final numbers released Monday show that Minnesota hunters killed nearly 185,000 deer, down 4% from 2011.
Leslie McInenly, the big game program leader at the Department of Natural Resources, says the decline was expected because the DNR issued fewer permits to take antlerless deer in a move to build up the deer population.
The archery harvest was up 5% and the muzzleloader harvest increased 1%, but the firearms harvest was down 5% from last year.
The DNR says only one hunter fatality and 19 injuries were reported. Capt. Mike Hammer credits the state's hunter education program, in which 4,300 volunteers taught 23,000 students last year.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.