LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW)—Radon kills 70 times more people than carbon monoxide each year; which is why the health department says everyone should test their home for radon.
Radon is a radioactive gas that comes from the soil and it's known to cause lung cancer.
The only way to find out if you have elevated levels of radon in your home is with a test kit.
"It doesn't have an odor, color, can't smell it do detection of radon using a test kit is really the only method to find the problem," Jim Steinhoff, Environmental Health and Lab Manager, La Crosse County Health Department said.
You can purchase a test kit at the health department.
If your first radon test kit comes back with high levels, Steinhoff said make sure you do a second test; and if both tests are high, you can buy a mitigation system to reduce the radon levels.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.