LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW) - No one is injured when a small explosion damages a La Crosse apartment building and caused an evacuation.
La Crosse Fire Department Division Chief Tom Wallerich said firefighters were at the Wedgewood Commons Apartments at 1935 Miller Street around 2:00 a.m. investigating a fire alarm and popping noises in the boiler room area when the explosion occurred.
The blast damaged a water heater and the building's ventilation system. The explosion was contained to the boiler room area.
"They [the firefighters] had their meters out and they didn't' get any readings on gas, but they had a little bit of reading on CO and when they were standing around there, the water heater kind of a little 'woof' and some of the gas went so they went back out and shut off the gas."
At that point, Chief Wallerich said the gas was shut off as the building was evacuated.
While firefighters cleared the scene, residents stayed in an MTU bus.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.