Iowa kidnap suspect had said he didn't pose danger
DAYTON, Iowa (AP) - The man suspected of kidnapping two central Iowa girls last month told the state Parole Board in his three bids for release that his treatment in prison had made him worthy of parole.
The Des Moines Register reports that Michael Klunder argued in his appeals that he no longer was dangerous and that parole would help him adjust back into society more than being released without supervision.
He eventually was released in 2011 under provisions of the state's time-served law.
Police suspect Klunder abducted 15-year-old Kathlynn Shephard and a 12-year-old friend on May 20 in Dayton. The younger girl was able to escape. Klunder was later found dead.
Some of Kathlynn's blood has been found, dampening hopes of finding her alive.
Members of the newly created commission to regulate ethics laws for Wisconsin office holders and lobbyists are beginning their work with the simplest of tasks: deciding on a name. Weightier decisions aren't far...More >>
Former Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke's run-in with a 25-year-old man who shook his head at him while boarding a flight last year is headed to trial in federal court. Daniel Black says Clarke's directive to have...More >>
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Jaden Schwartz scored with 2:27 remaining during a 4-on-4 situation and the St. Louis Blues beat the Wild 2-1 on Friday night to leave Minnesota with a 2-0 leadMore >>
Joel Embiid had 29 points and nine rebounds and the Philadelphia 76ers pulled away from the undermanned Milwaukee Bucks 116-94 for their seventh win in eight games. Ben Simmons added 16 points and nine assists, and Timothe...More >>
Can't Find Something?
3705 CTH 25, La Crescent, MN 55947
Phone: 507-895-1919 or 800-947-9969 (WXOW)
News tips: firstname.lastname@example.org