LAKE DELTON (WKOW) -- Around midnight on June 15th, the Delton Fire Department, along with Emergency Medical Services and Lake Delton Police Department, arrived to the Travel Lodge Hotel on West Munroe Avenue for a report of a possible carbon monoxide leak.
According to the Delton Fire Department, an employee was sick and taken to the hospital where high levels of carbon monoxide were found in the employee's blood. The fire department tested the air inside the hotel and confirmed a high level of carbon monoxide was present. All the guests were evacuated from the building.
Several guests and employees reported to EMS that they were feeling ill. Five patients were transported to the hospital. So far, St. Clare Hospital has treated a total of nine patients for carbon monoxide poisoning, and three patients have been transferred to St. Luke's Hospital in Milwaukee. There were 43 hotel rooms occupied and 12 employees living at the hotel.
Alliant Energy responded to the location and shut off the gas supply. Fans were used to ventilate the building. When carbon monoxide readings confirmed the air was safe again, the guests were escorted back inside to get their belongings. The Salvation Army assisted those affected with alternate lodging arrangements.
The hotel is closed pending further investigation.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.