La Crosse, WISCONSIN (WXOW) - The La Crosse Fire Department has confirmed that a toddler playing with a lighter, started the fire at the triplex at 607 Wall Street.
The fire broke out around 8 a.m. on Wednesday, September 11, 2013.
The La Crosse Fire Department says no one was injured, however all of the tenants lost most of their belongings and one woman's cat died in the fire.
On Wednesday night, the two story building was demolished.
A pile of rubble is all that is left at the site and it will be removed later this week or early next week.
The La Crosse Fire Department says a toddler playing with a lighter, started the fire in a bedroom on the first floor.
A tenant in the triplex, told News 19 the woman watching the child tried to put the fire out, however it quickly got out of control.
When crews arrived at the scene, the triplex was filled with smoke and was completely engulfed in flames.
There were five tenants in building.
The tenants said smoke detectors did not go off, however everyone was able to make it out safely and one tenant called for help.
News 19 has set up a fund for the victims of the Wall Street Fire.
Checks can be made payable to the victims of the fire and dropped off or mailed to any Merchant's Bank Location in La Crosse. All the money will go toward helping the victims.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.