LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW) -- La Crosse firefighters were called to the Radisson Hotel at 200 S. Second St. Saturday afternoon after a chemical leak of in a room near the pool area.
The call came in around 4:15 p.m.
Firefighters said sodium hypochlorite, a highly concentrated form of chlorine, was leaking from a tubular part of the hotel pool's chlorine dispensation system and onto the floor.
The highly concentrated chlorine can cause burns and respiratory problems, among other complications, according to La Crosse Fire Captain Tony Nickelatti.
Six people were treated for injuries at the scene by firefighters and medics from Tri-State Ambulance. Nickelatti said two of the six were taken to the hospital with "non-life threatening" injuries.
Firefighters managed to stop the leak and clean up the area. Control of the hotel was turned back over to its staff at 8:37 p.m. after the air was ventilated to clear out the remnants of the sodium hypochlorite.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.