LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW) - As Halloween approaches, the La Crosse Police Department is encouraging parents and trick-or-treaters to stay safe.
The department has a list of safety tips for the community:
• Limit Hours of "Meet ‘n Treat" to between 4:00pm and 8:00pm
• Citizens wishing to greet children with a treat should keep their outdoor lights on during these hours
• Young children should be accompanied by a parent or older, responsible person during their "treating" rounds
• Take all treats home to be examined before eating anything
• People are encouraged to give out only wrapped or packaged candy
• Wear light colored clothing that is short enough to prevent tripping, add reflective tape to the sides, front and back of costume
• Stay within the neighborhood and visit homes that you know
• Watch for traffic, drivers should be on constant lookout for children
• Children should carry a flashlight
• Keep costumed children away from pets. The pet may not recognize the child and become frightened.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.