Gas leak causes evacuation on Williamson Street - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

COPY-UPDATE: Gas leak caused evacuation on Williamson Street

UPDATE (WKOW) --- Madison Fire Department responded to a severed natural gas line inside a business on Williamson Street Tuesday morning.

The report came in just after 11 a.m.

When fire crews got to the scene, Madison Gas and Electric crews were there.

The gas meters at the business indicated high levels of natural gas inside of the building.

Several blocks were closed off to vehicle and foot traffic for about two hours and three buildings were evacuated.

Gas and electric service was disconnected at 1220 Williamson Street as well as two adjacent buildings.

Two people were inside of the building, but firefighters were able to use a PA system to get them out.

The levels of natural gas made it unsafe to enter, so crews had to let the building ventilate until readings reached safe levels.

No injuries were reported. 

*****

 

MADISON (WKOW) -- The Dane County Communications Center says a contractor struck a gas line in the 1200 block of Williamson Street shortly after 11:00 Tuesday morning.

There is an active gas leak at this time and 27 News is told one building has been evacuated. 

Crews are on scene working to fix the leak.

There are no reports of any injuries at this time.

 

Powered by Frankly