LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW) -- Three fires occurring over the course of three days shaped the Coulee Region's September news cycle.
It began just before 7 a.m. on September 11, when La Crosse firefighters were called to the Trane Co. lab in South La Crosse.
A fire inside forced the fire department to use ladder trucks in attacking the flames from above.
Firefighters on the scene said 30 Trane employees had been safely evacuated.
An hour later, a fire broke out at a three-unit apartment building at 607 Wall Street in North La Crosse.
The fire gutted the building, which was eventually torn down.
Investigators determined the Wall Street fire was started by a child playing with a lighter.
None of the building's tenants were injured. But since La Crosse firefighters were also busy at the Trane plant, the Onalaska Fire Department was called in to provide extra help.
Two days after the pair of fires in La Crosse, a large fire razed a historic part of downtown Winona, Minn.
The fire, now believed to be the result of an electrical malfunction, began between the roof and ceiling of an Islamic Center building. Flames spread to three neighboring businesses.
The Winona Fire Department and four, assisting agencies worked for roughly six hours to contain and put out the blaze.
No one was injured.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.