Firefighters believe space heater caused Coon Valley fire - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

Firefighters believe space heater caused Coon Valley fire

Posted:

COON VALLEY, Wisconsin (WXOW) -- There were only minor injuries following a fire Tuesday morning at a farmhouse just outside of Coon Valley.

The fire happened at E4501 on Highway 14 West of Coon Valley. The homeowner reportedly drove into town on his tractor to report the fire.

Crews responded minutes later to find smoke and minimal flames in the living room. They managed to extinguish the fire within a couple of hours.

Firefighters said battling the flames in such cold weather requires extra precautions.

"Usually, we need to leave nozzles cracked open and everything. We have a blowtorch on the vehicle in case stuff freezes up that we can try and thaw things out, but that's really the difficulty--just the cold freezing up our equipment," said Assistant Chief Ken Phillips.

Firefighters say initial reports suggest a space heater on an overloaded electrical outlet to be the cause of the fire. The Stoddard, Westby and Viroqua fire departments assisted on the call.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.