A Fire Call in La Crosse Saves Lives - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

A Fire Call in La Crosse Saves Lives

Posted:

La Crosse, WI (WXOW) – A fire call, may have saved the lives of two people in a La Crosse apartment building.

The La Crosse Fire department said they were dispatched to an apartment at 717, Jackson Street, for a report a smoke detector that was sounding in the basement, Friday.

Officials said there was no fire, and instructed the landlord to change the battery in the smoke detector since the landlord told fire fighters he could not remember when the battery had been changed last.

Firefighters also noted that there was no carbon monoxide detector in the complex. The landlord was informed that he had to have a CO detector installed because it is Wisconsin State Code. The landlord told firefighters he had a detector in his truck and would install it immediately.

About 30-minutes later, Firefighters were called to the same apartment for a Carbon Monoxide detector going off. Officials say the CO levels in the building were high and where coming from a faulty water heater.

The La Crosse Fire Department said the CO detector potentially save the lives of two people in the building.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.