LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW) - The cold seems never ending in the Midwest.
To keep homes warm, many furnaces are working overtime. The La Crosse Fire Department has a safety reminder for home owners while testing smoke alarms. The department also reminds people about the need for carbon monoxide detectors.
"Carbon monoxide is that silent killer. You're actually required to have carbon monoxide detectors in your home. So just being aware, make sure they're up to date, that they work, and that they're current on when you install them, again, installing them with the manufacturers instructions is the best way to do it as far as how far away from a gas producing appliance," says Lieutenant Lance Tryggestad of the La Crosse Fire Department.
Lieutenant Tryggestad says the number one thing you can do to keep your family safe is have a functioning carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home. If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, leave your home immediately and call 911. Do not open your windows. It makes it more difficult for emergency crews to identify where the gas is coming from.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.