(WXOW) -- Music and exercise go hand in hand. So what makes a song like "Can't Hold Us" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis better than Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger?"
"Because when you look at the beat of the music, you're body naturally wants to get into a certain tempo or synchronization with the beat of the music," said UW-La Crosse professor John Porcari.
Porcari said the recent findings of a London researcher in conjunction with Spotify shows there's a singular playlist to best help you find your flow.
"I think that's what you're getting into. You're getting into the rhythm of the music and the flow of the music. You're just like almost in a state of peace."
Aside from distracting you from the strain of a workout, warming up to a high rate of beats per minute actually subconsciously pushes you further.
Porcari said, "When you have up tempo music, people tend to entrain themselves into the beat of the music, so the faster the beat, the faster you tend to exercise. Therefore you're going to work harder."
Regardless of whether you follow the prescribed list, or groove to the beat of your own drummer, grab some headphones, hit play and get going.
Here is the Ultimate Workout Playlist:
1. Roar - Katy Perry - 92 BPM (Mental preparation)
2. Talk Dirty - Jason Derulo ft 2 Chainz - 100 BPM (Stretching)
3. Skip To The Good Bit - Rizzle Kicks - 105 BPM (Stretching)
4. Get Lucky - Daft Punk ft Pharrel Williams - 116 BPM (Aerobic/Warm up)
5. Move - Little Mix - 120 BPM (Aerobic/Warm up)
6. Need U 100% - Duke Dumont ft A*M*E - 124 BPM (Cardio training, low intensity)
7. You Make Me - Avicii - 125 BPM (Cardio training, low intensity)
8. Feel My Rhythm - Viralites - 128 BPM (Cardio training, moderate intensity)
9. Timber - Pitbull ft Ke$ha - 130 BPM (Cardio training, moderate intensity)
10. Applause - Lady Gaga - 140 BPM (Cardio training, high intensity)
11. Can't Hold Us - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft Ray Dalton - 147 BPM (Cardio training, very high intensity)
12. Happy - Pharrell Williams - 160 BPM (Cardio training, very high intensity)
13. The Monster - Eminem ft Rihanna - 110 BPM (Strength training)
14. Love Me Again - John Newman - 126 BPM (Strength training)
15. Get Down - Groove Armada ft Stush and Red Rat - 127 BPM (Strength training)
16. #thatPOWER - will.i.am ft Justin Bieber - 128 BPM (Strength training)
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.