LA CROSSE, Wis. (WXOW) – A neighbor likely prevented a gas explosion at a La Crosse Apartment complex on Tuesday.
La Crosse Fire Department Captain Frank Devine said an anonymous caller warned the fire station about a "hissing sound" and "strong odor" inside an apartment at Arrowhead Village.
Devine said there was no gas leak, but a tenant had left a gas burner on the stove on before leaving for work Tuesday morning.
As a result, the apartment was full of gas.
"It's good that somebody was aware. If you think you smell something or you think there is something wrong, don't be afraid to call, because that's what we (Fire Department) are here for. Luckily, this person had the awareness level that they thought something was wrong and thought they smelt gas. They probably prevented a potential hazard," Devine said.
Firefighters were able to shut off the stove and cleared the apartment. No injuries or hazards were reported.
Devine said this is a good way to remind people to turn off all appliances before leaving home.
"Before you leave, if you do have a gas stove, just always be aware of the potential hazards and make sure your knobs are off when you walk away. Any ignition sources on the stove, just make sure everything is off," Devine added.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.