Army says alleged shooter saw no combat in Iraq - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

Most Viewed Content

Stories
Videos

Army says alleged shooter saw no combat in Iraq

Posted:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Army's top civilian official says the soldier accused in the Fort Hood shooting this week was deployed for the final months of the Iraq war but did not see combat.

Three people died and 16 were wounded before the shooter committed suicide.

Army Secretary John McHugh testified Thursday that the soldier appeared to have no connections to extremist groups.

The soldier is identified by others as Ivan Lopez. He enlisted in the Army in June 2008 as an infantryman and later switched his specialty to truck driver, the job he had in Iraq.

McHugh says the soldier was examined by a psychiatrist last month and was found to show no violent or suicidal tendencies. He says the soldier had been prescribed Ambien to deal with a sleeping problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - A soldier opened fire Wednesday on fellow service members at the Fort Hood military base, killing three people and wounding 16 before committing suicide at the same post where more than a dozen people were slain in a 2009 attack, authorities said.

The shooter, who served in Iraq in 2011, had been undergoing an assessment to determine whether he had post-traumatic stress disorder, according to Lt. Gen. Mark A. Milley, the senior officer on the base.

There was no indication the attack was related to terrorism, Milley said.

A Texas congressman said the shooting happened at a medical center. Rep. Michael McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, also identified the suspect as Ivan Lopez. But additional details about the gunman were not immediately available.

The injured were taken to Darnall Army Community Hospital at Fort Hood and other local hospitals. Dr. Glen Couchman, chief medical officer at Scott and White Hospital in Temple, said the first four people admitted there had gunshots to chest, abdomen, neck and extremities and that their conditions range from stable to "quite critical."

The 2009 assault on Fort Hood was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in U.S. history. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded.

After the shooting began, the Army's official Twitter feed said the post had been locked down. Hours later, all-clear sirens sounded.

On Wednesday evening, a fatigue-clad soldier and a military police officer stood about a quarter-mile from the main gate waving away traffic. Other lanes were blocked by a police car and van.

Meanwhile, relatives of soldiers waited for news about their loved ones.

Tayra DeHart, 33, said she had last heard from her husband, a soldier at the post, that he was safe, but that was hours earlier.

"The last two hours have been the most nerve-racking I've ever felt. I know God is here protecting me and all the soldiers, but I have my phone in my hand just hoping it will ring and it will be my husband," DeHart said.

Brooke Conover, whose husband was on base at the time of the shooting, said she found out about it while checking Facebook. She said she called her husband, Staff Sgt. Sean Conover, immediately to make sure he was OK, but he could not even tell her exactly what was going on, only that the base was locked down.

"I'm still hearing conflicting stories about what happened and where the shooting was exactly," Conover said in a telephone interview, explaining that she still did not know how close the incident was to her husband.

"I just want him to come home," said Conover, who moved to Fort Hood with her husband and three daughters two years ago.

President Barack Obama vowed that investigators would get to the bottom of the shooting.

In a hastily arranged statement in Chicago, Obama said he was following the situation closely. He said the shooting brought back painful memories of the 2009 attack.

Obama reflected on the sacrifices that troops stationed at Fort Hood have made - including enduring multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan.

"They serve with valor. They serve with distinction, and when they're at their home base, they need to feel safe," Obama said. "We don't yet know what happened tonight, but obviously that sense of safety has been broken once again."

The president spoke without notes or prepared remarks in the same room of a steakhouse where he had just met with about 25 donors at a previously scheduled fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee. White House officials quickly pushed tables to the side of the room to make room for Obama to speak to the nation.

The November 2009 attack happened inside a crowded building where soldiers were waiting to get vaccines and routine paperwork after recently returning from deployments or preparing to go to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan was convicted and sentenced to death last year in that mass shooting. He said he acted to protect Islamic insurgents abroad from American aggression.

According to testimony during Hasan's trial last August, Hasan walked inside carrying two weapons and several loaded magazines, shouted "Allahu Akbar!" - Arabic for "God is great!" - and opened fire with a handgun.

Witnesses said he targeted soldiers as he walked through the building, leaving pools of blood, spent casings and dying soldiers on the floor. Photos of the scene were shown to the 13 officers on the military jury.

The rampage ended when Hasan was shot in the back by Fort Hood police officers outside the building. He was paralyzed from the waist down and is now on death row at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.

After that shooting, the military tightened security at bases nationwide. Those measures included issuing security personnel long-barreled weapons, adding an insider-attack scenario to their training and strengthening ties to local law enforcement, according to Peter Daly, a vice admiral who retired from the Navy in 2011. The military also joined an FBI intelligence-sharing program aimed at identifying terror threats.

In September, a former Navy man opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, leaving 13 people dead, including the gunman. After that shooting, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered the Pentagon to review security at all U.S. defense installations worldwide and examine the granting of security clearances that allow access to them.

Asked Wednesday about security improvements in the wake of other shootings at U.S. military bases, Hagel said, "Obviously when we have these kinds of tragedies on our bases, something's not working."

___


FORT HOOD, Texas (ABC NEWS) -Four people have been killed, including the gunman, in a shooting at Fort Hood in Texas today, according to senior U.S. officials and the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee.

Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, told CNN he had been briefed on the deadly incident and said there were also 14 injuries. Authorities were concerned another shooter might be at large, but no link to terrorism has been discovered, the lawmaker said.

Before McCaul's appearance on CNN, Fort Hood's media office cited an initial report that the shooter was dead but said the report was not confirmed.

Sgt. Maj. Nicholas Connor, a spokesman for Fort Hood, told ABC News that authorities would lift a "shelter in place" order as soon as they believed it was safe to do so.

President Obama said his national security team is "working with folks on the ground to determine exactly what happened and to ensure that everyone is secure."

"The situation is fluid right now... Any shooting is troubling," the President said. "We’re heartbroken that something like this might have happened again. I don’t what on the comment on facts until we know exactly what happened. But just for now I would hope that everyone across the country keep the families of Fort Hood in our thoughts and our prayers... We don’t yet know what happened tonight but obviously that sense of safety has been broken once again. We need to find out exactly what happened."

Scott and White Hospital in nearby Temple, Texas, said it activated its internal incident management system and "is receiving patients" related to the shooting.

"Unfortunately, this is something that we here at Fort Hood have experience with and this is something that is conjuring up a lot of memories of the past," Connor said. "We're just hoping we can get to the bottom of this as soon as possible."

Fort Hood, in Killeen, Texas, was the site of a mass shooting in 2009, when Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan killed 13 people.

During Hasan's trial, he called himself a "mujahedeen," or Muslim holy warrior, and did not deny he was the shooter. He was convicted and received the death penalty in August 2013.




FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - One person was killed and 14 injured in a shooting Wednesday at Fort Hood, and officials at the base said the shooter is believed to be dead.

The details about the number of people hurt came from a senior U.S. defense official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss the information publicly.

Fort Hood said in a statement posted online that its Directorate of Emergency Services had an initial report that the shooter was dead, but that the report was unconfirmed. Additional details were not immediately available.

The Army said on its official Twitter feed that the base is still on lockdown, and that injured personnel were being treated at the post's Carl R. Darnall Medical Center and other local hospitals.

The Texas Army base was the scene of a mass shooting in 2009. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded in what was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in history.

Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan was convicted and sentenced to death last year in the Nov. 5, 2009, attack on his fellow soldiers as they waited inside a crowded building at Fort Hood. Soldiers there were waiting to get vaccines and routine paperwork after recently returning from deployments or while preparing to go to Afghanistan and Iraq.

According to testimony during Hasan's trial last August, Hasan walked inside carrying two weapons and several loaded magazines, shouted "Allahu Akbar!" - Arabic for "God is great!" - and opened fire with a handgun.

Witnesses said he targeted soldiers as he walked through the building, leaving pools of blood, spent casings and dying soldiers on the floor. Photos of the scene were shown to the 13 officers on the military jury.

The rampage ended when Hasan was shot in the back by Fort Hood police officers outside the building, which left him paralyzed from the waist down. Hasan is now on death row at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.

After that shooting, the military tightened security at bases nationwide. Those measures included issuing security personnel long-barreled weapons, adding an insider-attack scenario to their training, and strengthening ties to local law enforcement, according to Peter Daly, a vice admiral who retired from the Navy in 2011. The military also joined an FBI intelligence-sharing program aimed at identifying terror threats.

In September, a former Navy man opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, leaving at least 13 people dead, including the gunman. After that shooting, Hagel ordered the Pentagon to review security at all U.S. defense installations worldwide and examine the granting of security clearances that allow access to them.

--------------------------------------
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A U.S. law enforcement official says the suspected gunman at the Fort Hood Army base in Texas is now believed to be dead.

Fort Hood confirmed the shooting on the base in a brief statement Wednesday evening. The statement also said emergency crews were on the scene and that further details were not yet known.

The official says reports circulating within the Justice Department indicate the shooter has died of what appears to be a self-inflicted wound. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is still ongoing.

The identity of the shooter and the number of victims were not immediately known.

--------------------------
FORT HOOD, Texas (WXOW) - From the Fort Hood Army Base Press Center:

UPDATE: Fort Hood's Directorate of Emergency Services has an initial report that a shooter is dead but this is unconfirmed.

The injured personnel are being transported to Carl R. Darnall Medical Center and other local hospitals. Numerous law enforcement agencies are in support and on the scene. The number of injured are not confirmed at this time. No further details are known at this time. 

The post is currently still on lock down.


------------------------

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- A senior U.S. defense official says one person is dead and 14 wounded in a shooting at Fort Hood.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss the information publicly.

The Texas Army base was the scene of a mass shooting in 2009. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded in what was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in history.


A suspected shooter at Fort Hood, Texas, is dead, but the situation is still considered an active shooting, multiple U.S. officials tell CNN. Other media reports state that as many as eight people were wounded in the shooting at the post. 
------------
FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- Fort Hood says there's been a shooting at the Texas Army base and that there have been injuries.
   The base posted a statement online Wednesday. It said emergency crews are on the scene. No further details are known.
   The base was the scene of a mass shooting in 2009. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded in what was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in history.
 
-----------------------------

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- Fort Hood confirms shooting on Texas Army base, reports injuries.
   Bell County Sheriff's Office Lt. Donnie Adams says the sheriff's office dispatched deputies and troopers from the Texas Department of Public Safety to the nearby Texas Army base.
   Fort Hood ordered everyone at the base to "shelter in place." The order was sent Wednesday on the base's Twitter feed and posted on its Facebook page.
   The 1st Calvary Division, which is based at Fort Hood, sent a Twitter alert telling people on base to close doors and stay away from windows.
   A spokeswoman for the base declined to comment.
   The base was the scene of a mass shooting in 2009. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded.
-----------------------------
FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- Fort Hood has ordered everyone at the Texas Army base to "shelter in place."

The order was sent Wednesday on the base's Twitter feed and posted on its Facebook page.

The 1st Calvary Division, which is based at Fort Hood, sent a Twitter alert telling people on base to close doors and stay away from windows.

A spokeswoman for the base declined to comment. A spokesman for the local sheriff's office did not immediately have information on the incident.

The base was the scene of a mass shooting in 2009. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded in what was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in history.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.