Wagon Wheel Trail to bring La Crescent and La Crosse closer - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

Wagon Wheel Trail to bring La Crescent and La Crosse closer

Posted:
La Crescent, MN -

LA CRESCENT, Minn. (WXOW) – The Wagon Wheel Bike trail project has been in talks for the past ten years with the first phase of the project set for completion this summer.

The first phase starts at Main Street in La Crescent, runs through the marsh, and connects to Shore Acres Road.

The second phase of the project will include a shared-use path along Shore Acres Road and extend to the D.N.R. Boat Landing near the Minnesota-Wisconsin state line. Construction for the second phase is expected to be completed by 2017.

“It’s not really easy for people to bike and walk between La Crescent and La Crosse, and this is a unique opportunity because it’s really a connection between two states,” La Crosse Area Planning Committee Executive Director Tom Faella said.

Faella said the city of La Crescent is currently applying for funds for a third phase, in hopes of extending the bike trail past the D.N.R. Boat Landing underneath highway 14 and 61, connecting the north side of the West Channel Bridge to the south side.

“It gives an opportunity for interpretive signage, and people, the opportunity to experience the fish and wildlife area out there,” Faella said.

The total cost of the project is roughly $900,000—20% is paid for by the city of La Crescent, while the remaining 80% of the project is paid for by the Minnesota Department of Transportation’s federal Transportation Alternatives program, which funds bike trails and shared-use path projects.

Most Viewed Content

Stories
Videos

What's on WXOW tonight

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WXOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.