TOWN OF CAMPBELL, Wis. (WXOW) - One man is injured in a fire at War-Leh Manor, a senior assisted living home on French Island, Sunday morning.
The Town of Campbell Fire Department was called to 615 Plainview Road just before 9 a.m. for smoke coming from one of the apartments.
When firefighters arrived on scene the apartment was filled with smoke and a burner on the stove was turned on, said Town of Campbell Fire Chief Nate Melby.
Chief Melby said the fire started on the stovetop and spread to other appliances nearby. First responders found the man in the apartment suffering from smoke damage. He was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Chief Melby said this incident is a reminder of how dangerous kitchen fires can be, "It's important to keep track of the things you have on the stove and the things that they are. It's also important to turn off your burners, make sure they're off when you're done cooking."
Smoke damage was contained to inside the apartment but crews evacuated about 20 residents for an hour as a precaution.
Chief Melby said the apartment has significant smoke damage. No word on the condition of the man taken to the hospital.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Theresa Wopat at 507-895-9969. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.