Fire sweeps through central Wisconsin ice shack; no one hurt - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI – News, Weather and Sports |

Fire sweeps through central Wisconsin ice shack; no one hurt

Posted:

MERRILL, Wis. (AP) -- Fire has gotten in the way of one family's love of ice.

A fire that authorities traced to a wood stove has rendered a Merrill, Wisconsin family's ice fishing shack unusable. WSAW-TV reports that no one was injured in Thursday night's fire. The inside of the shack was charred but the Merrill Fire Department was able to extinguish the blaze in time to save the structure.

Family members told the fire crew they were preparing to take the shack onto the ice this weekend and thought they had shut down the wood stove. The fire began about one or two hours after they left.

Powered by Frankly