Dayton: FEMA OKs individual storm aid for southern Minnesota
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Gov. Mark Dayton's office says a federal agency has reversed itself and approved aid for individuals and households in southern Minnesota hit by heavy rains and flooding in September.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency said Tuesday it has approved the individual assistance. Earlier this month Dayton appealed FEMA's original decision to deny individual assistance.
In a statement, Dayton said the aid is "critical as Minnesotans work to rebuild their homes and communities" after the severe weather this fall.
President Barack Obama declared a major disaster in Minnesota following Dayton's request late last month. Storms from Sept. 21-22 in nine southern Minnesota counties caused more than $8 million in damage to public infrastructure. Estimates also show more than $10 million in damage to homes and individual property in the region.
Members of the newly created commission to regulate ethics laws for Wisconsin office holders and lobbyists are beginning their work with the simplest of tasks: deciding on a name. Weightier decisions aren't far...More >>
Incoming Democratic Minority Leader Gordon Hintz says he's learned from past mistakes and has tried to live his life with "intent and purpose" ever since. Hintz was elected Tuesday as Assembly Democratic minority...More >>