A California man's attempt to kill a large spider inside his apartment didn't go exactly as planned.
The Redding Record Searchlight reports the unidentified male resident saw a wolf spider and tried to kill the arachnid with a torch lighter. He ended up hitting the spider, who dashed onto a mattress, catching the furniture on fire.
Fire officials say the blaze spread from the mattress to a collection of flags and curtains inside the bedroom. It also spread into a bedroom closet, but did not affect any of the other apartments in the complex.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze, but not before it caused $11,000 in damages.
Now, the residents inside that apartment are forced to find another place to go. The apartment where the fire started is considered uninhabitable by fire officials.
The investigation remains ongoing.