The investigation into a fire Friday night at a La Crescent home has turned up the cause.
A La Crescent Fire Department spokesperson tells WXOW that improperly stored ashes from a wood burning stove led to the fire that started in a garage at 1234 County Highway 25 early Friday evening.
The fire was discovered by a person driving by the home.
Cathy Thompson was able to get the one person in the home, who was sleeping at the time, safely away from the fire.
La Crescent Assistant Fire Chief Shawn Wetterlin reminds residents to keep ashes at least ten feet away from a home while they cool.