Mall of America stabber sentenced to 15 years for attack
Minneapolis (AP) -
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A 20-year-old Minneapolis man who said he was inspired by the Islamic State group has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for attacking two brothers at the Mall of America.
Mahad Abdirahman was sentenced Friday after pleading guilty earlier to two counts of first-degree assault for the November knife attack at the Bloomington mall.
The Star Tribune reports Abdirahman declined to speak when the judge gave him the opportunity. When he pleaded guilty last month, Abdirahman said he was inspired by the Islamic State group and "went to Mall of America to answer the call for Jihad" because he believed the United States was "at war with Islam."
Investigators say he attacked 19-year-old Alexander Sanchez and 25-year-old John Sanchez while shopping. The brothers suffered serious injuries.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Members of the newly created commission to regulate ethics laws for Wisconsin office holders and lobbyists are beginning their work with the simplest of tasks: deciding on a name. Weightier decisions aren't far...More >>
NBA player Sterling Brown says he tried to remain calm when Milwaukee police used a stun gun to take him down during his arrest for a parking violation. In an interview aired on ABC's "Good Morning America" Friday, the...More >>
Can't Find Something?
3705 CTH 25, La Crescent, MN 55947
Phone: 507-895-1919 or 800-947-9969 (WXOW)
News tips: email@example.com