SUN PRAIRIE (WKOW) -- The owner of Barr House was killed in the explosion in Sun Prairie Tuesday. He was a volunteer firefighter, a father, and well-known in the community.
Abby Barr, the widow of fallen firefighter Cory Barr, is devastated, and can't begin to process her loss. She says Tuesday was an ordinary day. Cory had just gotten home in time for dinner. He didn't even sit down to eat before he was called in by the Barr House -- the bar and restaurant he owned.
“He was here, said I’m going to go and put on my gear and see what I can do to help,” said Abby Barr. "He was an all around good guy, you can’t really find any flaws when you talk about Cory.”
There was a gas leak and he went down to help the evacuation process. His wife says he was just outside the building when the explosion happened. She does not know what exactly killed him, but says Cory was rushed to UW Hospital where he died.
Now, she's remembering him as a loving father to their twin girls and an all around good guy who didn't have a flaw in him.
"He was the one who saw the best in people. The outpouring of messages coming in about how wonderful he was is not just people saying this. It was 100 percent true. He'd give the shirt off your back, he was just amazing," Barr told our sister station 27 News in Madison.
His wife says there aren't enough words in the dictionary to say how wonderful he was.
The medical examiner says Barr died as a result of injuries he got while carrying out his duties at the fire scene.
Sun Prairie Fire Chief Chris Garrison said they did not just lose a friend but a family member to the team and the entire community.
“We will be affected forever, but we will continue to build strength and be a better organization with Cory’s legacy in our hearts," said Garrison.
Click here for a link to an online fundraising page for the family.